Maputo, Feb. 18, 2026 (Lusa) - TotalEnergies is moving forward with the expansion of the camp for 2,000 workers in Afungi, in the Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) megaproject in Cabo Delgado, Mozambique, according to a tender consulted by Lusa, in the full resumption of the venture.
This involves an expression of interest procedure for engineering and supply for the expansion of the Afungi camp launched by CCS JV, a consortium contracted for this purpose by the French multinational TotalEnergies, leader of the Area 1 consortium in northern Mozambique.
The consultation, which runs until 20 February, requires competitors to submit details of the design, procurement and delivery of two-storey modular accommodation for a camp of 2,000 people. According to the tender, it includes the supply of furniture, equipment, internal lighting, internet, telecommunications, satellite television, drinking water, and wastewater collection at the camp.
On 29 January, Mozambican President Daniel Chapo described the resumption of this mega-project, suspended for almost five years due to terrorist attacks, as a symbol of "resilience, courage and determination".
"Today is a day of celebration for Mozambique, for Africa and for the world," Chapo said, recalling the importance of Mozambique LNG, "one of the largest" on the continent, and emphasising the "effective, total and complete resumption" of the project, with natural gas exports expected to begin in 2029.
After visiting the formal resumption of work at the Afungi basin, in the presence of TotalEnergies President Patrick Pouyanné, the Head of State stressed that the day represented "the victory, resilience, courage and determination of the Mozambican people in the face of adversity".
Chapo recalled that in terms of revenue for the state alone, Mozambique LNG will contribute $35 billion (€29.2 billion) over 25 years, creating 17,000 jobs during the construction phase, with more than 4,000 already in place at the facilities, 80% of which are Mozambican.
This is a $20 billion (€17.5 billion) project with the capacity to produce 13 million tonnes per annum (mtpa) from the Rovuma offshore basin.
"The “force majeure” is over," said Patrick Pouyanné in the same speech, emphasising that this is TotalEnergies' largest investment in Africa.
"But it is imperative to think about safety first," Pouyanné pointed out, given that the entire complex is currently under heavy security measures, with plans to create the new city of Afungi, which in practice is only accessible by air and sea transport for security reasons.
On 29 January, the Mozambique LNG consortium officially resumed construction of the LNG production and export facility in Afungi Bay, which had been suspended since April 2021 when TotalEnergies invoked the “force majeure” clause following terrorist attacks.
The government has mandated an independent audit of the project's costs incurred during the “force majeure” period. It was also decided that the four-and-a-half-year period of “force majeure” would not count towards the concession period, despite TotalEnergies proposing to extend it by more than 10 years to compensate for alleged losses of $4.5 billion (€3.87 billion) since 2021.
Mozambique has three approved mega-development projects for the exploration of LNG reserves in the Rovuma basin, ranked among the largest in the world, off the coast of Cabo Delgado, including this one by TotalEnergies and another by ExxonMobil (18 mtpa), worth $30 billion (€26.1 billion), which is awaiting a final investment decision, both in Afungi.
This is compounded by the Italian company Eni, which has been producing around 7 mtpa since 2022 from the Coral South floating platform, with production set to double from 2028 with the Coral North platform, at an investment of $7.2 billion (€6.2 billion).
PVJ/ADB // ADB.
Lusa