LUSA 08/18/2026

Lusa - Business News - Portugal: Bishop of Funchal ends visit to Venezuela earthquake victims

Caracas, Aug. 17, 2026 (Lusa) - The Bishop of Funchal concluded a six-day visit to Venezuela on Sunday, calling for solidarity and aid for the victims of the double earthquake on 24 June that affected six states in the country, particularly La Guaira.

It was a visit marked by «many contrasts» because he was with the people in La Guaira who had suffered «an unimaginable tragedy», Nuno Brás da Silva told the Lusa news agency.

The prelate said he had been deeply moved by «all those people sleeping in tents», «waiting for the bodies of their loved ones who were left in the rubble to be recovered».

He therefore called for aid to be provided «in close solidarity with the victims of the earthquakes», both Madeirans and Portuguese-Venezuelans.

The bishop explained that many emigrants had thanked him for «Madeira's presence and faith» amidst their suffering, at a time when «there is still much to be done to resolve all the problems».

«But despite this, they continued celebrating, being close to one another, and greeting one another – with great simplicity, but also with great warmth,» he emphasised.

Nuno Brás da Silva highlighted the faith and tenacity that have characterised his compatriots affected by tragic events over recent decades.

«Behind these calamities there is always new life, which is the life of God with us, waiting just round the corner» and «we must discover it, and we must proclaim it, so that many who, humanly speaking, would have reasons to despair but instead find hope,» he said.

During his visit to Venezuela, Nuno Brás da Silva met with the Venezuelan Bishops' Conference, Caritas Venezuela and members of the Portuguese community in Caracas, Cátia La Mar, La Guaira, Miranda, El Junquito and El Tibrón.

In La Guaira, the main Venezuelan region affected by the twin earthquakes, he visited the worst-hit areas, including Tanaguarena, Caraballeda, Caribe, Macuto, Praia Grande and Cátia La Mar.

He also attended the consecration ceremony for the new auxiliary bishop of Caracas, the Portuguese-Venezuelan José Dionísio Gomes Gouveia.

The earthquakes that struck Venezuela on 24 June caused at least 6,301 deaths and 73,356 injuries, according to the latest official figures.

Among the dead are at least 138 Portuguese nationals and people of Portuguese descent.

FPG/ADB // ADB.

Lusa