LUSA 05/23/2026

Lusa - Business News - Portugal: Suspend EU border control system at airports - Algarve tourism sector

Faro, Portugal, May 22, 2026 (Lusa) - Representatives from the tourism sector have called for the suspension of the border control system at Portuguese airports to prevent passenger queues, saying they are damaging the Algarve's reputation as a tourist destination, industry sources in the region said on Friday.

Speaking to Lusa, the president of Algarve Tourism said that delays in processing non-EU passengers were causing deep concern across the sector due to the impact on the destination's image and the inconvenience caused to arrivals at various airports.

André Gomes pointed out that the system used has, over the last two years, seen repeated delays in coming into operation due to the difficulties caused at airports, and that practical and effective solutions must be found, so that it can function quickly and efficiently.

The IT system was reportedly failing to function correctly, in terms of passport scanning, the collection and storage of biometric data, and improvements are needed to reduce waiting times at airports, he said.

“For two years I have been saying that there must be solutions beyond mere suspension, but at this moment, given the system’s weaknesses, I see no other solution than the suspension of the system," he added.

The president of the Algarve Intermunicipal Community, António Miguel Pina, said that the local councils in the district of Faro view the situation with great concern, saying that waiting times are increasing because the IT system used does not respond with the necessary speed when there is a high number of passengers to process.

Miguel Pina, who is also the mayor of Faro, said it was necessary to explain that the current difficulties do not stem from the transfer of passport control at airports from the Foreigners and Borders Service (SEF) to the PSP (Public Security Police), because the number of staff involved is far greater than the SEF previously had.

He said that, if SEF still existed, the problem would be worse and pointed out that the delay is due to the fact that the passenger control system has been updated and now incorporates the databases of the various police forces across the European Union to ensure much more effective control within the Schengen area.

However, the IT system, the hardware and software, does not respond as quickly as it used to, when checks were almost a formality, he noted.

“Hence the possibility of asking the government, and for the government to ask the European Union, to revert to the previous method of passenger checks until the IT system can get up to the required speed,” he urged.

The president of the Association of Algarve Hotels and Tourist Enterprises also views the difficulties passengers from outside the EU face with great concern, but noted that, in recent days, the situation has improved considerably, with only one or two peaks of heavy traffic.

Hélder Martins said that during a visit to Faro airport on Wednesday, waiting times were down to 15 minutes, but acknowledged that damage had been done to the image of Portugal and the Algarve, as passengers had previously been subjected to long queues and extensive delays.

"Our view, which we have conveyed to the Prime Minister, the Interior Minister and the Secretary of State for Tourism, is that we should suspend the system until the problem is resolved,” he concluded.

 

MHC/MYAL // AYLS

Lusa